Dear Neighbor and Area Stakeholder:
Please attend Elysian Valley’s Neighborhood Watch meeting this Wednesday Sept. 11, 2013
TIME/HORA: 7:00 P.M.
DICKERSON EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
1918 Riverside Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90039
- A Minute of Silence in Remembrance of 9-11 Victims
- Marsh St. Skate Park operating hours and improvements –Ms. Alina Bokde-Los Angeles Neighborhood Land Trust
- LAPD Crime Report (SLO Gina Chovan)
- Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell Report (Adam Bass)
1. Phase IV Street lighting
2. Sewer odor surrounding Oros St./Duvall St. at the intersection of Blake Ave.
3. Private company that is stenciling street address numbers without prior residential approval.
4. Pedestrian/Bike hazard at the exit/entry point of the pedestrian/bike path on the East side of the neighborhood (Riverside Dr./Figueroa bridge)
5. The below pedestrian/bike path light (north of the Hardwood St.) access point is both not working and has its mechanism exposed. A second light north of Shoredale Ave. access point too remain inoperative.
6. Loitering youth alongside the pedestrian/bike path with open displays of public drinking/smoking including camp like fires are also prevalent down (alongside) the River bed during evening/night hours.
7. The Knox St. park has a fence that runs alongside the pedestrian/bike path with only an approximate 8-10 foot entry/exit point. Residents have suggested tearing down the fence so that it open up to the path in the same fashion that the Snake park space opens up on Marsh St. This would both beautify the area and make it safer.
8. Four-way stop signs at Shoredale Ave./Blake and Gilroy/Ripple St. Intersection
9. Dallas St. residents continue to draw attention to needed/wanted pedestrian access to the River path
10. Tree trimming and sidewalk repair remains an important issue requiring attention. I was encouraged by Councilmembers Mitch Englander and Buscaino’s ballot initiative proposal to address funding sources for this very purpose. And equally encouraged by our Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell’s expressed support.
11. Unfolding development plans at the old Bimbo site on Blake Ave., the Dolly Madison/Hostess location on Ripple and other key neighborhood locations. We look to have Councilmember’s support in ensuring the EV stakeholders have a say in what ultimately gets built at these sites-bearing in mind the preservation of the neighborhood essence, traffic, environment and absence of basic services, etc.
12. LA River fishermen and the trash they leave behind
- EV Beautification Day -Sept 21st (Jed Donaldson)
- Call for news letter articles/ announcements: deadline Sept. 13th
· Frogtown Artwalk (Sept. 28 from 4-10 PM)
- Northeast LA Health Fair in Highland Park
Location: Burbank Middle School (6460 N Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90042)
Date & Time: Saturday, October 19, 2013, from 10AM to 2PM
Elected Officials Co-Sponsoring with Assemblymember Jimmy Gomez: Congressman Xavier Becerra, State Sen. Kevin De León, Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar, LAUSD Board Member Bennett Kayser
The DEADLINE for informing our office of your participation is Friday, September 20, 2013, at NOON. I have attached a form for participation to this e-mail. Should you be unable to meet this deadline or have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me, Stephanie Wong, at this e-mail or 213.483.5151.
- BECA ESTUDIANTIL MIGUEL ANGEL,LOS ANGELES, CA USA /SCHOLARSHIP 2013-2014
The De La Torre family in memory of their beloved Godson Miguel Angel Robles provides annual scholarships to undergraduate Latino/Latina students who have been accepted to and/or are already attending college, who are in good standing, demonstrate an unmet financial need, and show active involvement and leadership through community extracurricular activities. The scholarship amount is $500.00.
BEMA congratulates the following students receiving the 2013-2014 scholarship award:
- Ms. Diana L. Virgen –Nursing School Freshman/Mount St. Mary’s College – Elysian Valley Resident
- Mr. Enrique Polanco – Civil Engineering Sophomore/California State University Long Beach- Hesperia, CA resident
- Ms. Lorena Albarran – Business Administration Freshman/Cal State Los Angeles –Glassell Park Resident
- Ms. Mariana Lizbeth Ruelas – Family & Child Development Freshman/El Camino College – Wilmington, CA resident
- Mr. Marco Saravia – Studio Art Junior/El Camino College- South Los Angeles resident
- One on one time with Senior Lead O. Gina Chovan –LAPD
Always remember to call 9-1-1 if you have an emergency.
Thank you in advance for your much anticipated participation and help in making our neighborhood safer.