Assistant Sales Manager
The Assistant Sales Manager is responsible for customer assistance, plant care, supervising sales staff and volunteers, maintaining the sales yard facilities and gardens, updating the weekly inventory, and other duties as assigned by the Nursery Manager. The Assistant Sales Manager may also be asked to participate in educational programs, committees, and other projects as appropriate.
This position is integral to setting a welcoming tone for our customers and visitors and educating the public about gardening with California native plants. The Theodore Payne Foundation is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic individual who has an interest in horticulture and enjoys working with the public.
Full-time: Tuesday-Saturday, compensation hourly with excellent benefits, $12.50-$13.50/hr. commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
· Customer service—Work with customers in the sales yard and via email to answer questions and needs; write up sales receipts; develop marketing strategies to increase customer base.
· Sales Yard Maintenance—Maintain all plant material in containers and in ground—this includes watering, weeding and pest management; update weekly inventory and send to webmaster; prepare sales yard for weekly plant moves and deliveries; print labels for incoming plants; maintain sales yard and grounds so that they always appear clean and orderly; ensure placards and labels are readable, clean, and correct; create special displays and new signage for display boards and kiosk.
· Supervision—Supervise sales associates and volunteers; ensure staff and volunteers have all necessary information to provide quality customer service; train sales associates to properly maintain plants and grounds.
· Education and programs—Assistant Sales Manager may be asked to participate in programs, classes, tours, events, and to write articles for the Poppy Print.
· Coordinate efforts with the Director of Special Events, such as for outreach events and Farmer’s Markets.
· Other duties as assigned by the Nursery Manager
This position has the following requirements:
· Nursery sales and/or retail experience
· Horticulture or botany background, including understanding of scientific nomenclature preferred
· Knowledge of nursery production practices and CA native plants highly desirable
· Basic computer skills, including Excel
· Ability to lift 35 lbs
· Ability to work outdoors, even in inclement weather (heat, cold, rain)
· Should be energetic and personable
· Must be able to work overtime during busy season
· To apply: send resume with cover letter to: Madena@theodorepayne.org
· Position Available: December 1, 2012.