Job Title – Associate Garden Manager
Company – Home Grown Edible Landscapes – Geri Miller, principal. Learn more athttp://www.groedibles.com
Location – Manhattan Beach – This portfolio of clients will be focused mainly in the SouthBay and Palos Verdes area of LA County.
Compensation – Starting at $15/hr
· Manage and maintain private clients’ gardens including:
o transplanting, propagating additional plant material when needed
o soil management
o pest and disease management
o harvesting, pruning
o orchard care when applicable
o seed saving
· Assist senior manager or principal in seasonal demolition and installations
· Give clients email updates of what work you performed at each visit and any recommendations for action to be taken by client prior to your next visit
· Manage your own service calendar directly with clients
· Immediately advise principal of any problems that you feel need additional attention
Required Skills –
· Degree or certification in horticulture, agriculture, urban farming or related field or certification as a CE Master Gardener or UC Victory Gardener
· Thorough knowledge of all facets of organic, sustainable/regenerative and permaculture practices
· Ability to diagnose and problem-solve using organic methods
· Working knowledge of irrigation systems especially drip irrigation and ability to perform minor repairs
· High degree of organizational skills
· Ability to perform hard physical work and move heavy items from time to time
· Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
· Must be able to utilize email and access the internet
· Occasionally assist during classes
Desired Skills –
· Experience working with school-aged children is a plus
· Teaching experience working in a school garden is a plus
· Retail experience is a plus
· Experience working with CA native plants is a plus
· Landscape design experience is a plus
Other Information –
· HGEL is a small family of like-minded folks who love to grow edibles and teach others to find the joy in growing their own food too.
· You must have a car in good working order and valid CA drivers license and insurance.
· You will be able to attend any classes offered by HGEL (if you’re not needed to assist) tuition-free
· We encourage all our garden managers to grow at home so when there is a surplus of plant material on-hand, HGEL will give you plants to take home for your own use.
· We’re nice people!
Application Mode – Please attach your resume to an email with an introductory paragraph and send to email@example.com
Application Deadline – Dec 31
Contact for Further Information – Geri Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org